april 2020 updates

drib critic stuff
drib
dribnut
dribnut

april 2020 updates

April 1 is a Wednesday. I'll run an update then, and followup on Monday, April 6.

I expect that there will be many quarterly updates for Regent. These are usually $100 or $200 increases, but given current global conditions ... I just don't know.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

A Message from Jason Montague

May 10, Bah!

But what I'm really disappointed about in this message ... is that he's a New England Patriots' fan!

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: april 2020 updates

There's always a lot of traffic on drib critic and fare compare in anticipation of an update.

I wanted to post this early to give you an update as to the update. I just started the process for all three cruise lines that I follow. Now, I'm going to walk the dogs, have breakfast, and yada, yada, yada, will review the results in about three hours.

Years and years of data processing experience has taught me not to do such a update in real-time. The process described above simply creates transactions in a text file.

Next, I review the transactions looking for anomalies. I verify a few of them against the actual cruise line web sites. And then, if anything looks wrong, I'll call up the heads of the various IT departments of the cruise lines and sort it out with them. Once everything is right, then and only then, I'll backup the database, and apply the transactions.

For anyone reading who is new to the message board, well, first, welcome! It may take awhile for you to figure this out, so I'll just save you the trouble ... I am the only one who posts here. There are 128 users in the member list, but they are all me - every single one of them - like Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts and Coronets. That's right ... Fezzik, scuba diver from cc, bodogbodog, SusieQ, petlover ... those are all me!

My next post will be after I apply the transactions, and then I'll look for anything bargains to share with you. See you again in a bit.

scuba diver from cc
full tank
full tank

I have always said that if someone stole my identity they would give it back after a very short time.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

scuba diver from cc wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:46 amI have always said that if someone stole my identity they would give it back after a very short time.
In one of the sappy Tom Hanks movies - they can't call be classics, like "Joe Versus the Volcano" - anyway, maybe it was "You've Got Mail," Hanks' character says that for every situation, there is an appropriate quote from "The Godfather." I feel the same way, but for Barry Manilow songs. There's one for every occasion.

I'm not sure why I have so many Manilow songs in my collection. It's really problematic because his mp3 files really don't get along with any of the other mp3 files. It makes for some very odd auto-playlists.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

oceania

Nil.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

crystal

There were 139 fares and 225 transactions applied, but most of these the initialization of new single supplement category B1-S.

Regent should be ready shortly, and as expected, there are a lot of fare changes. I just don't know if they are increases or decreases yet.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

regent

trips w/insert: 141, total inserts: 1283, total sql: 1315

At first glance, all fares higher.

Suicidal.

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

drib wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:36 am There are 128 users in the member list, but they are all me - every single one of them - like Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts and Coronets. That's right ... Fezzik, scuba diver from cc, bodogbodog, SusieQ, petlover ... those are all me!
Crikey - so if you're me then WHO AM I?

Now suffering from major identity crisis - I will need to ask my wife who I am!

Maybe I'm......

Stickman :cheers: or Keith1010 :bow:
Email - bodogodog@gmail.com

Future Cruises - who knows if cruising ever resumes? But maybe they’ll include these ones
May 2022 - Silversea Silver Muse - Tokyo to Vancouver - 21 days - nope Japan was closed
Dec 2022 - RSSC Explorer - Singapore to Sydney
Feb 2023 - Silver Muse - Cairns to Singapore
September 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Vancouver to Tokyo
December 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Sydney to Auckland
Dec 2023 - Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 16 days - nope Crystal went belly up

drib
dribnut
dribnut

bodogbodog wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 pmCrikey - so if you're me then WHO AM I?

scuba diver from cc
full tank
full tank

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Boy, you've been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down.

======

So ... I'll keep running the updates as long as the cruise lines still publish fares and I can get them. If we're going to be honest about the prospects of cruising again anytime soon, though, it is bleak.

I had four future cruises booked, and I cancelled all but one, in May 2021, and I'm keeping that only because the deposit was fairly low. Even if we got the all-clear to travel again, I'll have to use those opportunities to visit kids and grand kids, before taking a pleasure cruise.

I'm planning on running an update on Monday, but it sure ain't for me.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

oceania first (and only) follow-up

trips w/insert: 20, total inserts: 257, total sql: 278

At first glance, I thought Oceania joined the suicide pact with some 2020 fare increases on Marina. But scrolling down in Fare Compare, you can see some decreases (on a B1) starting in 2021. Further, there are large decreases on Riviera, up to 29.1% (12.6% jcalc) on a B1, and those are in 2020.

Marina:

Riviera:

Set the fare history selector to 2020.04.06.

Would I give new money to any cruise line in the current environment? *

======

* I would not.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

oceania again

trips w/insert: 33, total inserts: 515, total sql: 538.

Big, big decreases today! (Or they could have happened anytime since last Monday.)

I'm not sure what to make of it. I was booked on Marina in July, which I cancelled - and received the refund back weeks ago. I could book the same trip and category today at more than 34% less. (But I wouldn't!) Maybe NCL is deliberately trying two vastly different strategies, on Oceania and on Regent, to see what works.

Note that I am still waiting for my Crystal refund since mid-February, and for Regent since mid-March. But that doesn't mean that I trust Oceania any more or less than Crystal and Regent.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

crystal 2023 world cruise

Fares dropped modestly across all categories - from 2.3% on a C3 to .3% on a CP.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

regent

I just received an email stating that there were "20% Savings on Dozens of Luxury Voyages," but as of this posting, none of them are reflected on their Regent web pages.

https://www.rssc.com/specials/details?I ... 6e1de92f9b

It looks like they are all 2020 itineraries, through November 3.

I just sent out emails because of Oceania and Crystal fare decreases, so even if the new fares are online tomorrow, I'm not going to send out new emails until May.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

crystal

A bunch of new guarantee fares today! (17 OG, 24 VG, and 22 PG)

I think they are all 2020 cruises, but also after August or later. So I encourage everyone to book these, and then maybe Crystal will have enough cash on hand to finally pay my refund!

drib
dribnut
dribnut

oceania again, again

trips w/insert: 66, total inserts (i.e. new fares): 1057, total sql: 1143.

The fire sale continues, this time for trips in 2021.