drib critic readers digest

drib critic stuff
drib
dribnut
dribnut

The drib critic readers digest (dcrd) is a daily email of posts made within the last 24 hours. An email is sent out at 11 pm Pacific Time. And it looks something like this:

imgx

Note that quotes are removed from dcrd to keep it short, and links are removed, including images, because those are often detected as spam.

I may write a subscription process for it - depends how many people post here. But in the meantime, if you want to subscribe just contact me - pm on the board, or use the contact link below. I generally post here as drib, but I am also admin.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: drib critic readers digest

Bump.

The dcrd is still running every night. You only get an email if there are new posts, though.

If anyone is interested, just PM or email me and I'll add you to the subscriber list.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Subscribing and un-subscribing to DCRD is now a function of the subscriber page:

rollcall/subscriber.php

drib
dribnut
dribnut

DCRD is oversubscribed!

It runs unattended at night, which is unlike the subscription emails, where I run them in small batches, and monitor them as they run. So with so many subscribers, I don't want it to run unattended anymore.

I'll look at what I can do to batch those subscriptions, but until then, the checkbox has been disabled - except for subscribers who want to unsubscribe.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Emails usually go out at 11 pm pacific time. But tonight, they're just going to be written to files. Then tomorrow morning - I have to start the Fare Compare update tomorrow anyway - I'll start sending emails in batches. You should see this post in that email!

If that works, then I'll open up dcrd to new subscribers again.

The only difference you might notice after tomorrow, is that instead of getting the email at a constant time - whatever 11 pm is in your time zone - you might get them a few minutes later, or an hour or two later, depending on how many total subscriptions there are. If it ever gets to more than one day, then I'm closing up shop again.

Keep in mind that you only get an email if there is activity on the board. This last two weeks have been unusual in that there's been a lot of activity. Most of that activity is because I've been posting on that other message board while watch NFL playoff games. But there are only two games next Sunday, and then just the Super Bowl after that.

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

drib wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 am I'll look at what I can do to batch those subscriptions
If you're batching anyone then I want to be at the head of the line - I paid good money.....well I might have paid good money if required so expect luxury treatment!
Email - bodogodog@gmail.com

Future Cruises - who knows if cruising ever resumes? But maybe they’ll include these ones
May 2022 - Silversea Silver Muse - Tokyo to Vancouver - 21 days - nope Japan was closed
Dec 2022 - RSSC Explorer - Singapore to Sydney
Feb 2023 - Silver Muse - Cairns to Singapore
September 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Vancouver to Tokyo
December 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Sydney to Auckland
Dec 2023 - Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 16 days - nope Crystal went belly up

drib
dribnut
dribnut

bodogbodog wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:58 pmIf you're batching anyone then I want to be at the head of the line ...
Yours is record number 2, so you should always be in the first batch.

... of course I could change the sort to something else, maybe email address, in which case you're screwed.

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

but but but...I'm a 100,000 poster - hey over on that other forum they give you super powers at 100,000 posts - all I get here is abuse (nothing new there - after almost 40 years of marriage I've reached the same stage)
Email - bodogodog@gmail.com

Future Cruises - who knows if cruising ever resumes? But maybe they’ll include these ones
May 2022 - Silversea Silver Muse - Tokyo to Vancouver - 21 days - nope Japan was closed
Dec 2022 - RSSC Explorer - Singapore to Sydney
Feb 2023 - Silver Muse - Cairns to Singapore
September 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Vancouver to Tokyo
December 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Sydney to Auckland
Dec 2023 - Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 16 days - nope Crystal went belly up

drib
dribnut
dribnut

You had your own forum - bodog's forum where he creates the rules to suit himself - and then you never used it. (It was subsequently renamed for dame edna everage - I don't remember why - and that also was not used. So it sits in a locked, private area.)

Anyway, I messed up on the test, so that last night's email files were wrote over the test files - if your email is like mine, it has two sets of text. I'll fix that for tonight, and run it again tomorrow morning as I did today.

I'll only set it up as a cron - that runs on a schedule - after I have a clean run.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Mr. Richard Fedder, of Fort Lee, New Jersey, writes:
Richard Fedder wrote:Why can't I see things that were quoted in the Reader's Digest?
Mr Richard Fedder often asks a lot of stupid questions, but this is a good one. I'm going to restate it below without the BBCode because that is part of the answer.

"Why can't I see things that were quoted in the Reader's Digest?"

Everything that is in BBCode - that includes quotes, font sizes, font colors, and so on - would not automatically convert to an HTML email. I could do the translation, in the same way as PHPBB3 translates it so that you can see it on this page, but it was easier to just remove all the BBCode.

Further, I decided to remove everything quoted,

Code: Select all

[quote][/quote]
, because it's a digest. DCRD should be brief.