avenue 5

drib critic stuff
drib
dribnut
dribnut

avenue 5

Avenue 5 is a new series on HBO. It's a space parody. No, it's a luxury cruise parody. No, it's a space parody, and a luxury cruise parody, and a dessert topping. *

If you have ever written LOL ** in a post - not in a meta way, as I just did *** - then chances are you will not like Avenue 5 .

I thought it was mildly amusing. There are so many fast one-liners that, like spaghetti thrown to a wall, some are bound to stick to your funny bone. I don't know if the laughs are sustainable over a full season, but at least give the first episode a try.

======

* And a floor wax! See https://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75ishimmer.phtml

** If you have ever written LOL, meaning Laugh Out Loud, online, then whatever you thought was funny, invariably, was not funny.

*** I've covered this before: I've never written LOL other than as meta. But I have written COL, Cluck Out Loud, for a chicken joke.

fezzik
greenlandic garden weasel

Re: avenue 5

>>If you have ever written LOL, meaning Laugh Out Loud, online, then whatever you thought was funny, invariably, was not funny.<<

Does this also apply to the use of emojis to indicate that you are "only kidding"? I often find that my attempts at humor are misunderstood and misinterpreted. But I am sure that you never have this problem. :laugh:
Also, how does one become meta? It sounds like something that I might like to be.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

everyone please welcome to fezzik to drib critic

New meat!

:cheers:

I think smilies and emojis, although way over-used, are important. I remember one time, on the Regent forum of that other message board, maybe near General Thread, that I pissed off FDR with a comment that would probably have been okay if I had only used a smiley.

======

Regarding "meta," it's confusing, circular, often misused (including by moi), and tends to give me a headache thinking about it. Maybe "Fezzik," or a Fezzik meme about a Fezzik meme - boy, I wish I had one of those - is already meta. I think maybe the Dread Pirate Roberts is already meta because he's a concept, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma.

My five year old grandson likes to text math problems, back-and-forth, with me. Once, I answered one of his problems for me, and then I asked him if I was right. He replied, "It's right if you think it's right." I think that may be the best answer here too; you're meta if you think you're meta.

======

Regarding Avenue 5, I'm still watching it, and it's still amusing, but I'm not glued to it.

======

I may have told this story before, but not to Fezzik the Meta, that I was the first person ever to write "I second that emoticon." It happened in in a hockey chat room, maybe mid-to-late 80s, maybe on Prodigy.

fezzik

I must say that I tend to use emojis quite liberally on that other board, and do believe that had I not, I may well have been bounced long ago.

While I am not a whole lot closer to understanding what "meta" means than I was earlier, I feel quite proud to be referred as such. I like the sound of Fezzik the Meta!

BTW*, I was actually considering Pirate Roberts as a screen name before settling on Fezzik.

Your grandson is clearly wise beyond his years. I love his philosophy.

* FWIW, I was wondering how you feel about acronyms. IMHO, while they are clearly overused, they do tend to save me time as I am a hunt and peck typist. Also, less wear and tear on the finger pads. WDYT?

drib
dribnut
dribnut

drib critic top 25 posters

I'm going to interrupt this discussion by the Future Members of Mensa Club (FMMC) to announce that Fezzik the Meta is now tied for 19th place in the drib critic all-time total post race. These are the totals as I write:
1bodogbodog107117
2drib942
3alex - verified canadian74
4iamheisenberg36
5tmini-t (as of 9-15-2017)27
5trealDonaldTrump - verified27
7Stillnotmonkey21
8SuziQ20
9ijkh16
10e-rod14
11Malestew10
12vanna9
13FlyerTalker7
14louiskam5
15tKarenFL4
15tMay B4
17tquepaquete3
17tSulljo3
19tAlanR182
19tMarc2
19tfdr2
19tLittleFish19762
19tFezzik2
19txrvlcruiser2
19tadmin2
I don't know if everyone can see these statistics in the member list - it might just be visible to me as an administrator - but I'll be sure to keep everyone updated of any major shakeups in the standings going forward.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

acronyms

Back on subject (of not Avenue 5) ...
Fezzik wrote: ... BTW*, I was actually considering Pirate Roberts as a screen name before settling on Fezzik. ...
Fezzik wrote:* FWIW, I was wondering how you feel about acronyms. IMHO, while they are clearly overused, they do tend to save me time as I am a hunt and peck typist. Also, less wear and tear on the finger pads. WDYT?
I'm pretty sure I told this story on that other message board, that I once mistook DH, in context, to be "Dead Husband."

TA=Travel Agent, Trans Atlantic, Trip Adviser ...

Generally, I will spell things out unless I use it more than once. But I always use a real keyboard, and I might feel differently if I was only using thumbs or a software keyboard.

fezzik

Here's a fun fact:
At my present rate of posting, I shall match bodog on October 11, 2166. Provided, of course, that he ceases posting now.
P the M

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: avenue 5 *

March 2, 2020, I'm calling it. Avenue 5 * is dead to me.

I made it through five * weeks, and about five * minutes of Episode 6. If you're keeping score out there, the "overs" win.

I also note today that Fezzik is stuck on post 50,005 *, much like Alex Ovechkin was stuck on 698 goals for several weeks.

======

All these fives!