This is the Title

nowhere special, i always wanted to go there
drib
dribnut
dribnut

Fare Increase?

drib wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm Everything is current again, and you can probably rely on that for another fifteen minutes or so.

There was smattering of changes (5), probably fares that were not available before and became available again when someone cancelled. And there was one itinerary where there were across the board changes to all categories of the same trip, and ... drum roll, please ... that one was the Stickman's cruise!

I double-checked on the Crystal web site, and fares for that are now lower. What it will be tomorrow is anyone's guess, but my advice to Stickman is to print out those fares now and get thee to a travel agent!

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/h ... -and-fares

I don't think the admins ever had a problem with Fare Compare, per se, but it was associated with the site where I hosted the images for dribnuts. What they really didn't like, I was told, was that I would post those images here and then change them after the fact - only I don't do that no more. No way, not me!

It is my opinion, though, that the underlying reason for their objection was the same reason that Gus McCrae would not rent pigs.

imgn

And that's all I wrote.
Regarding changing images, yeah, I still do that.

Regarding why Gus McCrae would not rent pigs, paraphrasing, "A man who rents pigs, well, he's hard to stop."

Cowboy wisdom.

SuziQ
overlord
overlord

Re: This is The Title

And Gus also had an excellent grasp of English Grammar ....
"Goats and Donkeys neither bought nor sold"
Well done Gus. :bow: IMO, too few people can grasp the concept of precise writing or speech.

Oh, am I boring you here? Well at least I'm not waffling on and on and on and even repeating myself ad nauseum. :angel:

drib
dribnut
dribnut

It's difficult to say if Gus was intentionally being grammatically correct there. He also said, and this is my favorite Lonesome Dove quote, "A man who wouldn’t cheat for a poke don’t want one bad enough."

There's the King's English, the Down Under English, Cowboy English, and drib English, and occasionally the twain they shall meet.

SuziQ wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:02 amWell at least I'm not waffling on and on and on and even repeating myself ad nauseum. :angel:
Ads are not permitted on drib critic. You know that.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

og and vg

Or was it vg and og?

Anyway, it's gone. I thought it might be a problem when I posted two images from Fare Compare with a visible URL - it was an accident, I swear - but there was nothing worth preserving there.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

Page 2 ...
Lady's Mom wrote:I don't like the idea at all. It sounds like Regent/NCL created another way to collect revenue. Only this time it is on the backs of the crew who really don't frequent the boutiques and typically call their friends and family when they are off the ship where the internet rates are cheaper. I wonder if we can still surreptitiously give cash to a crew members without they or us getting in trouble. I sure hope so.
Zqueeze1 wrote:Regent: you need to pay attention to the paying clientele and suck it up because we collectively agree that you’ve pulled the mother of all bonehead moves. Profiting from your crews’ rewards and limiting recognition to those that interface with us is really low, greedy, tacky, and very poorly thought out. Someone in corporate needs to acknowledge our concerns and rescind this policy. Real shame.
Wendy The Wanderer wrote:I'm trying to think of a positive reason why Regent would do this. Perhaps people tend to give little gifts to staff members, useless little tchotchkes, and they want to channel that positive intent into something that would be more useful to the staff member?

That's the only positive spin I can think of.

(Example would be giving someone a teddy bear, or other cheap trinket, when really they want a phone card, or internet time. Or cash, of course.)
Anchorbuoy wrote:The Crew Welfare Fund does still exist. However it is not being pushed. There is no onboard publication that I can find to suggest it, and zero mention in the daily program to acknowledge it as the better alternative to the new Gift Certificate program.

This new sales push is baffling in my opinion.
JMARINER wrote:This is just a new revenue making scheme. Forcing passengers to use "new money" to buy certificates that can only be used to buy heavily marked up merchandise or services just adds to their bottom line profits.

My daddy always said, and I still follow, the adage that if you feel the need to show your employee or service worker your extra appreciation, Cash is King.

We will not be participating in the new scheme. Bad Idea!!!
freddie wrote:This is an astonishingly dreadful program, providing very little benefit to the hard-working crew but possibly some incremental benefit to the already overpriced shops on the ships. As we discussed on the WC thread regarding this whacky notion, it remains very much more to the advantage of the crew for us passengers to stick with donations to the Crew Welfare Fund or to individual members of the crew in cash than to use this preposterous method of bogus "reward" to crew members.
As much as we love Regent, this is not the line's finest hour by any means.
Hambagahle wrote:I have been thinking about this issue since it was raised yesterday -

- could it be that this is a way for Regent to "assure" the shops of an increase in sales? Since there is nothing worth buying in the shops (aside from Advil!) one has to assume that their turnover isn't great.?

More logical thing to do on a line where service is NOT included - NCL and Oceania in this case I think. Regent is shooting themselves in the foot by adopting this policy IMO.
Lady's Mom wrote:I totally agree with everything that has been said. I will make sure my husband comes on board with some additional cash for such occasions.
CBWIR wrote:The only way this policy makes any sense is if you could use nonrefundable shipboard credit. Otherwise, few if any will use it.
Portolan wrote:You know, at one time one of the benefits of higher SSS membership was to be on some sort of advisory panel. Not sure if that ever actually happened, but in this case it could have prevented offering a program that clearly none of the Regent faithful here on CC thinks is worthwhile.

The ONLY semi-rational explanation I can think of is that this was adopted by NCL for all brands regardless of whether or not gratuities are included. Regent should have pushed back. It'll be interesting to see if Jason comments on this though he's been scarce recently.
CruisetheCs wrote:Regent is giving two contradictory messages regarding tipping. Tips are included, but tips are welcome or maybe expected too. Stupid decision.

But then the marketing department does some stupid things. The hype on Regent's web pages says "OUR 2-FOR-1 ALL-INCLUSIVE FARES INCLUDE...FREE PRE-PAID GRATUITIES."

If the fare includes gratuities, then the gratuities are not free. And what does "pre-paid" mean in this context and what is the relevance of when the gratuities are paid? The wording makes no sense. The logical wording would be something simple such as "our fares include gratuities."

So now Regent can add another non-sensical sentence, "Guests are encouraged to give post-paid gratuities to staff by purchasing certificates that staff can use to support Regent's onboard merchandising efforts."

Management needs to follow z and tb's advice:
wripro wrote:Regent makes nothing if you donate to the Crew Welfare fund. But they will make money if you buy these gift certificates. Case closed!

Deleted posts start here
MontyRSSC wrote:Just so you are all clear this originated as a guest requested to utilize unused Shipboard Credits to give to crew members. Nothing has changed other than we were trying to support a suggestion from one of our guests. For those of you really thinking we were trying to make money off our crew really have no understanding what Regent is all about!

Jason Montague
martiniking wrote:Thank you, Mr Cleaver!

"A typical episode from Leave It to Beaver follows a misadventure committed by one or both of the boys, and ends with the culprits receiving a moral lecture from their father and a hot meal from their mother."

( from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Cleaver )
1985rz1 wrote:Geeze. That would have been a good response [MontyRSSC's post] ... until the last sentence which really is an uncalled-for and insulting bash of Regent loyalists. The point could have been expressed in less antagonistic way.
bissel wrote:Perhaps the original introduction of the concept is unclear. It’s actually a pretty good idea of giving away to the crew unwanted SBCs.

i agree with Jason that to impute greed on the part of Regent over this issue is silly.

Deleted posts (so far) end here

Anchorbuoy wrote:If you have refundable SBC (OBC), just ask Reception for the cash. Then give it as a gift anonymously.

If you have non-refundable SBC (OBC), this poorly released program does not apply to you.

The over/under on Jason Montague posting again on Cruise Critic again is 3106 days.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile ... montyrssc/

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

Oddly, some of the deleted posts, above, were restored, including the one by MontyRSSC.

I think only martiniking's post was axed, and it seems pretty innocuous to me.

=======

More ...
martiniking wrote:I'm sorry I called you Ward Cleaver.

Some people might have jumped to the wrong conclusion, but it was meant respectfully.
fluckey wrote:I missed the first Ward Cleaver post. But I think Ward and June are two of the coolest parents ever. I'm sure no one would take a reference to Ward disrespectfully.
cruiseluv wrote:LOL!!! I also missed that post ( the thread has been "sanitized", you missed all the highlights), but I doubt the person to which that reference was directed would even know who Ward Cleaver was!

So, is it something about Ward Cleaver that was offensive, or is it "Leave It to Beaver," in general? I will continue to monitor this situation via notification email.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

drib wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:04 amThe over/under on Jason Montague posting again on Cruise Critic again is 3106 days.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile ... montyrssc/
MontyRSSC wrote:Thanks for all the feedback, positive and not so positive, and I have already asked the team to kill this initiative. I will say that it is amazing how some people can rush to quick judgement on what our intentions are without having an inkling of an idea on what was the thinking behind our decision. In this case I thought an idea that was good from a guest perspective as well as our crew was worth pursing but obviously it was good in theory but not in reality.
The under wins and pays 30,000 to 1 * if you placed your bet.

* Actually, over/under should always be an even bet, but theatrically, it was 30,000 to 1.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: Regent/NCLH implements new tipping program

New deletions are imminent. However no one has mentioned Ward Cleaver today.
Travelcat2 wrote:I "sort of" understand what their motivation might have been. Despite how many of us feel, there are passengers that insist on tipping (this happens on all luxury cruise lines .... I've reading tipping threads on other luxury boards). I think that Regent may have felt that doing a gift certificate might have been easier for the passenger but 99.9% of us did not think that this was a good idea. If someone wants to tip, they are going to do it and cash is better than a gift certificate.

The bottom line is that I have no reason to believe that Regent will stop including tips. What really puzzles me is that many(?) of us are "Seven Seas Society Council" members and they have yet to ask our opinions prior to implementing a new policy (not that they would have to listen to us -- just give us the courtesy of checking)
Dolebludger wrote:TC2,

Asking members of the SS Society first would have been the way to go on a potentially controversial proposal like this one. We all know what would have happened had it not been cancelled. Visible crew members would be doting the last night, just like on the mass market lines before “auto tipping”. And many of us who are sensitive (never been accused of that) would feel “pressure” to do the “expected thing” and tip (again) with these worthless certificates of little if any benefit to the crew member.

If what Regent’s fares for a cruise can’t allow for decent wages for the crew without tipping, I think I will find a better managed alternative, or just stay home in my mountain resort town. I tip service personnel very here in the US, because their employers aren’t required to pay them well, and they don’t. But, those places don’t subject me to a five figure “cover charge” like Regent does. With Regent’s fares, there should be no tipping, expressed, implied, or pressured.
ccpm wrote:I am just a little surprised that an initiative was begun after minimal guest feedback on customer surveys with little or no information to regular Regent cruisers with the rationale and explanation of what the scheme aimed to achieve. Then after relatively few customer expressions of dissatisfaction on CC there is a response from 'Jason' followed very quickly by the above post where the initiative has already been "killed". So how do we explain why so many other items of feedback or items that garner strong opposition on CC are not similarly dealt with at lightening speed. Sorry may be it is a 'verified' email but seems very odd and out of sync to me.
papaflamingo wrote:I agree wholeheartedly about your feelings around extra tips. However I love cruising. Unfortunately there is no cruiseline to my knowledge that forbids tipping. In fact, other luxury cruiselines do say that "gratuities are neither required or expected," but offer no alternative to further reward the crew. Regent goes one step further and says "If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office." If everyone simply honored Regent's suggestion, this would not be an issue.
alidor wrote:I’ve been following this conversation and have to add my 2 cents. We just got off our first Seabourn cruise about a month ago and they, too, have no tipping but they mean it! We never heard any reference to a “crews fund,” been provided extra envelopes - nothing. Not a word was said about it.

One thing we noticed the first day we were on the ship is that the crew seems happy. Like I said, we noticed this the first day. Talking to one of the managers in the dining room, he said the staff is very well paid and it does show. ALL of their dining room staff were very highly educated and they were from everywhere.

It was a good cruise and we definitely will sail Seabourn again.
hypercafe wrote:Don't forget all this tipping business is mostly a US thing and there are lots of Europeans on these trips. I was on Silversea's and our Butler refused a tip.
cwn wrote:I agree with you. We have sailed on Seabourn for years, starting with the 3 little girls. Love, love the line and especially the three big sisters...they are the prefect in size and design, 450 passengers, comfortable standard suites and great public areas. The service and food is excellent as is Regent's, but you are not paying for tours you don't want to take and we think the itineraries are more varied.

Seabourn does have a crew fund that benefits all the crew. We have given to it, but it is not advertised....just to go to Seabourn Square and tell them if you want to donate. In the past you could charge it to your shipbroad account.
slidebite wrote:What an odd program, seems like a bizarre way to come up with a new revenue generator and somewhat glad to see it was killed. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes on the ships, but I truly hope that the crew and staff have ready access to internet connections at no cost (or minimal at worst) to keep in contact with their family and friends.
Travelcat2 wrote:Unless things have changed recently, the crew does not receive free internet. Of course, in case of an emergency, I have no doubt that they would be able to use the internet at no cost.

Note: Hope that it is okay to link a thread on another board. This is very much on point - a tipping thread (current) on the Crystal board
forgap wrote:How in the world would you know this? If you are speculating, please indicate this!
Travelcat2 wrote:Not speculating so no need to indicate anything. Regent has done it before and would do it again. Regent did the same thing for passengers when internet was not included and there was an emergency. Surprised that you are not aware of this as it is certainly not a secret.
forgap wrote:Respectfully, how would you know this? I understand that you could comment if YOU experienced an emergency and Regent accommodated YOU. How would you know that this is the case for crew? AND, even if the crew is accommodated in an emergency, why can’t the crew connect with family as part of their employment benefits?

Once again, you speak for Regent as if they employ you! Let either Jason O’Keefe of Jason Montegue speak for Regent!
Wendy The Wanderer wrote:It's also my understanding that this is just not the way it works--they have to pay for internet. I can't remember how or when I heard about this, but it was onboard ship. I guess with limited bandwidth they don't want the staff or crew to hog it. That's why you see those folks heading for internet cafes when the ship is docked.
Michael@ssrp wrote:Lighten up please...
gnomie1 wrote:I have been away from CC for months - that sometimes annoying time consuming activity referred to as "work" has taken precedence over everything else. However, two different people sent me emails about this new program which I am happy to see that Regent put the kibosh on sooner than later. The only thing I can say is "What were they thinking"? Having worked in the corporate world, I find it almost impossible that the suggestion of one passenger could make such a significant change without the approval of more than one individual in the C suite.

I do not want to turn this thread into an argument on "tipping", I am only providing a suggestion as to what I do with my extra non-refundable OBC. At this point, there is very little that I find worth purchasing from the boutiques (this is for another thread, but who are the buyers for the boutiques - whenever I first enter the shoppes I am amazed at the items for sale and wondering if the buyers are aware of the demographics of the average passenger), but do not want the funds to go to waste. The only time I have ever seen crew members in the boutiques is to purchase one of two items, either snack foods or a bag to pack the extra items they accumulated during their time on the ship. I bring small gift bags with me (and use the tissue paper that the laundry fairy graciously brings to my suite) and over the course of the cruise, buy various snack items and make gifts bags for the crew. I hand the gift bags to various crew members, not just the ones I interact with on a regular basis. I know that the crew share the items with their friends and/or roommates and is greatly appreciated.

I also seem to accumulate folding luggage (i.e., LeSportsac knock offs) either from travel focus groups, trade shows, various travels, etc. I bring them with me on cruises and make sure that they get to crew members who may need an extra bag when getting ready to end a contract.

While "Cash is King", and I know some of the crew members use their tips to send the money home to their family, there are other simple ways to show appreciation to the crew. I know that if we are in port and see crew members eating at a restaurant, we will anonymously pick up the tab.
cruiseluv wrote:Some here should take a chill pill
Anchorbuoy wrote:Much of this thread was deleted over the weekend. I have no idea why, as most was on-topic, and not derogatory.

Previously, I posted the following, just before Jason killed the new tipping certificate program:

I concur that "shooting the messenger" is never correct. However the "message" of this new tipping program just does not feel right. I don't like the introduction of corporate-sponsored tips/gratuities/gifts. And I don't like the publication to push the program. Personally, I would like to see Regent abandon the program, or cease printing it for everyone to see. The Crew Welfare program is subtle and NOT an in-your-face notice in the daily program. The Crew Welfare is a better program, endorsed by Regent

We love Regent because it has historically avoided cheapening the product like the big-box mega cruise lines. This program does not pass the "smell test" and we are fearful that Regent will become an overpriced NCL product.

Regent advertises: "AN UNRIVALED EXPERIENCE™ We aspire to give you more than just the most luxurious ships, exquisite meals, refined service or exhilarating shore excursions. We aspire to give you more than any one of those things because a truly all-inclusive travel experience is about having every luxury included, just the way you like it.

Free Pre-paid Gratuities: Our onboard staff is happy to deliver a flawless experience at every turn with never an additional gratuity expected, it’s already included in your cruise fare."
CBWIR wrote:I thought that the Seven Seas Council was a travel agent designation -not individual passengers. Is this in addition to Commodore, Diamond, Titanium,etc. designations?

As to this thread. Regent did something that they quickly recognized was not a great policy (understatement?) and changed it. The thread would have died quickly if the usual suspects (habitual critics and cheerleaders) didn't have to have the last word.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Live : Crystal Symphony Tokyo to San Francisco, 5/26-6/17

ctjohn wrote:Know I’ll take some grief for this but

there was a lecture yesterday that became unfortunate and upsetting for many.

Lecturer General Nick Halley presents "The Life and Death Struggle for World Order! Radical Islam Fights for World”. The first half was fine with explanation of Islam beginning and the various groups in different mid-east countries. Then after saying this wasn’t political he started saying everything that Trump was doing right and everything that the previous President had done wrong. Not in pleasant terms. He even refused to name President Obama When confronted by a group as he left he said Obama wasn’t worth naming. During this part of his lecture many were shocked and aghast.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but as many stated they go on cruises to get away from politics. If Crystal wants to host a political debate fine schedule and let people know it will be that. But to listen to political tirade as part of a regular lecture is wrong to me and many others. Formal complaints were made and will be on survey. I’m sure many weren’t aware this took place.

Not it sure if he will be talking again but I think Crystal should make sure he knows political tirades aren’t allowed.
Robisan wrote:A number of days back I noted this in the June 2 Reflections from this cruise:

World Affairs Lecturer Dr. Glenn Robinson

Glenn E. Robinson is an award-winning teacher and expert on Middle East security and political issues. A professor at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, and affiliated faculty member at the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, Robinson has published and lectured widely on Islamic fundamentalism, the Arab-Israeli conflict, and related challenges facing the Middle East. On three occasions he has been recognized for his outstanding teaching, twice by the Naval Postgraduate School and once by Berkeley.

Dr. Robinson has an impressive CV and most likely gave an interesting presentation, however I wondered about the wisdom of offering a lecture presumably touching on hot-button topics like "Islamic fundamentalism, the Arab-Israeli conflict, and related challenges facing the Middle East" where, no matter what is said, some PAX are bound to strongly held beliefs that could be disturbed and/or offended by the lecture content. There is a time and place to hear from distinguished lecturers like Dr. Robinson on these topics. I'm not sure a cruise for people on holiday from daily life and stress is the place.

Also, too, multiple lectures touching on Islamic fundamentalism on a Tokyo to SF via Alaska cruise? Why?
almostretired wrote:I heard a similarly toned presentation a few years ago by a former Ambassador - Marc Ginsberg - where he defended Obama's middle east policies and criticized Bush. Having an opinion that one President is correct and one made mistakes is not necessarily political but just having an opinion based on your expertise. Halley's bona fides on international terrorism and national security are significant.
ctjon wrote:But did Ginsberg refuse to name Bush. Didn’t mention yesterday but Halley also started talking about “liberals”. An expert can disagree with policies but not venture all the way to rhetoric. There are ways to make a point and ways not to.
almostretired wrote:Sorry but only remember how he praised Obama and Clinton as those who made great international policy decisions. By only mentioning Obama or Clinton and not discussing Bush, I guess you could say he did not name him. Louis Rene Beres also made a number of very critical comments on Trump's nuclear and terrorist policy without mentioning Obama. I thought he was wrong and over the line based on my thirty plus years of working nuclear issues for DOD and DOS, not only writing about them as he does, but not to the point of making an issue. I was able to speak to him a day later for more than thirty minutes in a very frank yet differing opinion. He may have been more receptive as I explained my background. I apologize to those on the board for getting political but I find something from every speaker whether I agree or disagree with their point. Again, having a different opinion does not make it political.
Interesting - this is the same post as above after editing ...
almostretired wrote:Sorry but only remember how he praised Obama and Clinton as those who made great international policy decisions. I did not agree. Again, not holding the same point of view does not make everything political. That is part of today's problem - not discussion, no debate, put people in a category and refuse to listen. There is a difference in what liberals and conservatives think. Personally, I believe that those who made this a major issue and go in a huff, over reacted. The fact that there is no period left for discussion or questions bothers me but I can manage.
ctjon wrote:To me the issue is a Crystal lecture isn’t the place for political debate. It can and should happen but not at a Crystal lecture.
Keith1010 wrote:There is a saying two wrongs don't make it right.

Many of us don't come on board and go to lectures to be made to feel uncomfortable. Rather many of us want to learn and hear other points of views but those views can be expressed tactfully and in this day and age I would advise to keep politics out of the talks as much as possible.

This is not something new. While I have sat through some terrific talks over the years I have sat through some that made me uncomfortable and have seen guests walk out of presentations.

In terms of Marc Ginsberg I have seen him criticize the Trump, Obama, and Bush Administrations and I have also heard him praise certain components of each one. However, he can get very passionate and IMHO go over the top. I have also seen Haley go over the top. I don't think an of this is productive.

Just my two cents.
almostretired wrote:We all have opinions Keith. I would never criticize someone for their opinion differing from mine. I will engage. Many will not and will just feel uncomfortable. I loath the trends we see on college campuses, where speakers cannot present their case because it differs from others. If Crystal sought only those who have no true passion, and thus held no side, for their presentations, I am not sure why they should have an enlightenment program. Maybe we would see Jay Wolffe all the time. So I will leave this enlightening thread to others. I refuse to get offended by someone who disagrees. The fact that you and I may disagree on whether Trump has better or worse policies than Obama does not make either of us wrong or a reason to get upset. Listen, research primary sources, discuss, find dissenting positions and respectfully disagree. That's my two cents. BTW, I see Halley and Ginsburg in upcoming cruises. I look forward to the compare and contrast that each will present.
And this is the same post as above after editing ...
almostretired wrote:We all have opinions Keith.
bayonejoe wrote:I attended Gen. Halley’s lecture as well. I felt that he presented the facts as he saw them.

I personally did not feel that he was taking a political stance and I must have messed the liberal reference. But maybe I wasn’t looking for it.

Just my two cents.
KenzSailing wrote:I don't mind "political" (really, topical) discussions on a cruise ship. It's not Disneyworld. That said, ad hominem arguments are weak arguments.

Well, there's no avoiding this conclusion, this thread is turning into shit.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

no problem

These quotes were in the same live thread, Tokyo to San Francisco, as above. I don't think there is any danger that they will be censored on that that free-speech cesspool of a message board over there. I do think, though, that anyone who narcs on a waiter for saying "no problem" instead of "my pleasure," or whatever, deserved to be outed for their own assholery.

Jinn wrote:Grand marnier soufflé is no longer a staple on menu but must be special ordered which I have done. Asked for a cup of ice twice and when it did not appear, I asked the head waiter and he brought it. Last night I thanked my waiter and twice he said no problem. I reported this to Remi who said he also dislikes this. Same waiter did not say this tonight so I hope Remi spoke to him. Sometimes difficult to get wine glass refilled. Things are different. Food is still very good.
Stickman1990 wrote:So the issue was the waiter said “No problem”?

Maybe I’m missing the point but what is the problem with that? - what should they have said?
Jinn wrote:Stickman—-he should say, “you’re welcome, my pleasure, or certainly.” The point is it’s not a problem. It’s his job. He’s not doing me a favor. He is performing a service for which he is paid. If you were doing something for me you could say no problem, although I suspect you would not, because I am not paying you.
Stickman1990 wrote:Really not being argumentative but I suspect it’s either an age or cultural thing in terms of the acceptability of it - “no problem” would have been fine for my wife and I - and I’d never think to complain to Remi about such things

While you are correct they are being paid to do a job we’ve always found that treating them with respect and recognition of the service they delivers makes for a more pleasant experience when dining. I’m sure they meant no offence and if it really caused offence then maybe raising it with a Head Waiter might have been an effective way to deal with it

I guess that waiters getting no gratuities from you then
Terr777 wrote:It’s yet another matter of which version of English one is speaking. “No problem” is a delightful Australian phrase that doesn’t really exist in American English but means the same thing as the American “my pleasure “.
Teas Tillie wrote:Well, it certainly does exist in Texas English: I hear it all the time, although often it's "no problema" since frequently it's Tex-Mex.
Stickman1990 wrote:If it was a New Zealand restaurant it would likely have been “No Worries”
KenzSailing wrote:I don't remember nor care to search on the particulars, but I am reminded of the old story of the Royal, who, when asked to dine at the Captain's table replied: " why would I want to dine with the help?" Sheesh, my calendar reads 2019.
:clap:
suzeluvscruz wrote:For us, "No problem" is right down there with "You guys" even to women.....OK at McDonald's but not on Crystal.
Keith1010 wrote:Yes, it does.

Actually I do hear "no problem" more often and I hear it on land (in various part of the USA and in some countries) such as in restaurants, grocery stores, regular stores, etc.) and yes on ships.

I attribute it to age group as I hear it from mainly from younger folks.

I have to say the first time I heard it (on land) it seemed rather strange and it easy to be "put-off" by it but it really is meant as you are welcome.

{yada, yada, yada}
Texas Tillie wrote:Trust me, Keith, we've been saying it in Texas all my life, and I'm definitely not "younger folks". Of course, I'm used to others considering us crass!
Keith1010 wrote:Funny I've heard it more the past five years.

Maybe word finally got out from Texas.
Fly Fast Cruise Slow wrote:Interesting thing to make a complaint about. In Australia we would say no worries. It very rarely is a worry. It is just what we say. Same as no problem. I feel bad for the waiter.
Beav wrote:Many years ago, when I was a LOT younger, I had a habit of replying "no problem" instead of something more appropriate such as "my pleasure". I was in a sales capacity at the time where customers would say "thank you" for a service I had provided them during the transaction. One day a customer called me out on it, the inference being why would I respond that way when I'm simply doing my job and what's expected of me. I understood exactly what she meant and agreed with her line of thinking. Going forward I made it a point not to respond that way, because she was right, it WASN'T a problem to merely perform my duties as assigned!

Fast forward to today, now retired and the tables turned, I get the "no problem" response every now and then. It's usually from a younger person, just as I was at the time. And I remember getting it a number of times on our last Crystal cruise, again, from younger people half my age! When I would hear it, I would admittedly cringe just a little, but move on.

I read this discussion earlier today, but am just now posting. Between then and now I stopped off at a local bakery to buy a cake. They employee waiting on me at the bakery was young, helpful and cheerful. I said "thank you" at the end of the transaction, to which he replied, with a smile, "no problem"!

We all come from different cultural backgrounds. What strikes someone as odd may seem perfectly normal to others.
fyree39 wrote:If I may, "no problem" is not, and never has been, the appropriate and polite way of responding to "thank you."
"No problem" suggests performing a service or other offer of help just might cause a problem if the person performing the service deems it so. "No problem" started about 30 years ago and I've always hated it. I never allowed my own kids (who are both now in their 30s) to use this term and I'm also annoyed that anyone working on a luxury line would find this using this term with passengers would be appropriate.

And also, for KenzSailing, who wrote:
KenzSailing wrote:{...} There is no such thing as American Whisky. {...}
Bourbon is American Whiskey.

Don't mention it.

De nada.

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

Re: no problem

drib wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am These quotes were in the same live thread, Tokyo to San Francisco, as above. I don't think there is any danger that they will be censored on that that free-speech cesspool of a message board over there. I do think, though, that anyone who narcs on a waiter for saying "no problem" instead of "my pleasure," or whatever, deserved to be outed for their own assholery.
Unbelievable what some people come up with - and to raise it with the Restaurant Manager - way (not) to go! Remi must roll his eyes when such things are raised with him. I sure hope the waiter didn't get into any trouble for it

I called it out over on that other forum as I really couldn't see what the issue was - and I was pleased to see many come in and support that position
Email - bodogodog@gmail.com

Future Cruises - who knows if cruising ever resumes? But maybe they’ll include these ones
May 2022 - Silversea Silver Muse - Tokyo to Vancouver - 21 days - nope Japan was closed
Dec 2022 - RSSC Explorer - Singapore to Sydney
Feb 2023 - Silver Muse - Cairns to Singapore
September 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Vancouver to Tokyo
December 2023 - RSSC Explorer - Sydney to Auckland
Dec 2023 - Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 16 days - nope Crystal went belly up

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: no problem

bodogbodog wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 amI called it out over on that other forum as I really couldn't see what the issue was - and I was pleased to see many come in and support that position
I appreciated that. And also that you were within one degree of separation of it becoming a "tipping" thread, but did not.

Once on a Regent cruise - I think I blogged about it here - a waiter who did not have a great grasp of American idiom told us that we were going to Hell in a very charming way. We loved him for that, but then again, we didn't tip him either.

"No problem" as American idiom goes back at least to the 70s because I had a college friend with that as his nickname (because he said it all the time). Then, more recently, I bet on a horse at Del Mar named "No Problem," because it was my friend's name, and it paid about 17-1, on the nose.

======

Fare Compare updates running later today!

SuziQ
overlord
overlord

Re: Speciality Restaurant Reservation

speech1101 posted .... who???
I love the fact that some people have a large group and eat together every night. I have found the groups that know each other respect others around them. We were on the Hong Kong to Tokyo and almost every night we were sitting next to a large group (people that requested to sit with others). It wasn’t always the same group except for a few. They were sooo loud. We could not hear each other. Also people were discussing politics. I heard them say to their table mates, “it’s so nice we all agree”. Well the people sitting around you may not. We had to listen our whole dinner to loud conversation that was not what I wanted to hear. Just be aware you aren’t at home.
'Fess up Bodog ... that was you, right? If so, keep on keeping on! :bow: Well, anything to ruffle "their" delicate feathers. :roll:

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Re: Idle Musings

Malestew wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:34 am ......Suzi, Keith loves to be photographed with officers and hardly any of their so called friends or any other guests in the background. He is such a narcissistic man and looks like he is severely anorexic. He needs meet and greet at all points like airports and embarkation and disembarkation. We wish we could do a WC but I still have family to take care of and our loving dog. We certainly enjoyed our cruise with with Terry and Kerry and all their friends.
SuziQ wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:56 pm LOL Malestew, I've noticed that too. It reads to me a bit like "Aw Mummy, I'm fwightened, all these signs, all these people! It's scary Mummy." *inserts thumb into mouth at this point and hopefully doesn't pee his pants* "Hold my hand Mummy and get me outta here". :lol:
Malestew wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:03 am As he has pointed out he needs the concierge to escort him on and off the ship and must be the first to board and first off. He also needs to be the first in at Waterside or Market Place or any venue to avoid all our deadly germs. They attend every cocktail Crystal Society party and Captains quarters. We did that twice and thought it was a bore. Who does laundry at 3AM? Heck I’m barely back from the Avenue. Looking at his time stamp posting he hardly sleeps. Does anyone watch the show Fear The Walking Dead? I have more musings. Later

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

Re: Speciality Restaurant Reservation

SuziQ wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:51 am 'Fess up Bodog ... that was you, right? If so, keep on keeping on! :bow: Well, anything to ruffle "their" delicate feathers. :roll:
I did wonder when I read that - but pretty sure it wasn't us as we had the same 9 at dinner each night - and we didn't have any close neighbours - I think Remi planned it that way - table 77 for us each night

I think I know who they are referring to - 3 fun single ladies and friends and some of the crew eg entertainers - that would be the variable that is referred to. They weren't noisy - only having fun and enjoying the company over dinner

Future Cruises - who knows if cruising ever resumes? But maybe they’ll include these ones
May 2022 - Silversea Silver Muse - Tokyo to Vancouver - 21 days - nope Japan was closed
Dec 2023 - Crystal Symphony - Auckland to Melbourne - 16 days - nope Crystal went belly up

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

drib wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 am There's the King's English, the Down Under English
Down Under English - that's the one! - no problem - and I shall never mention "flunkie" on those hallowed CC forums ever again - it caused some to splutter into their tea cups

bodogbodog
dribnut
dribnut

Drib - how come I'm not getting a daily update emailed to me when there's action on DribCritic? I subscribe and normally get a daily email (well due to inactivity its usually a monthly email!)
But there has been posts this week but no daily update
Kick it in the guts Trev as we say downunder - something broken!

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Crystal V Regent! (on the Crystal Board)

drib wrote:I think the three boards I occasionally follow, Regent, Oceania and Crystal, because those are the three I'm most likely to book, and in that order, are very similar. All three have dominant personalities, all three suffer from repetition, and all three have fanboys who must rebut everything negative. (Also, all three suffer from repetition!)

That said, I will state my case about food, Crystal vs Regent, and leave.

Variety: Regent wins. Oceania place and Crystal show. I know, I wrote Crystal vs Regent, but the variety on Crystal is so bad, I wanted to emphasize it. Answer: Number of different white fishes sauteed on an eight night Crystal cruise. (What is eight?)

Flavor: Regent wins. Crystal food is so bland, even the Kung Pao Shrimp at silk tastes like hospital food. (IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SPICY!)

Best Specialty Restaurant: Crystal Prego. Winner, winner, beef carpaccio, mushroom soup, veal scallopini, and affogato dinner! (Affo-gato: the only cat that doesn't make me sneeze.)

Most Unimproved Restaurant: Crystal Umi Uma. Umi not yummy. (See notes on the flavor, above.) The sashimi is still of excellent quality - although it was cut wafer-thin this time, and I noticed the absence of pickled ginger, and what's up with the Panda Express quality chopsticks? (Also in Silk - next thing you know, they'll be serving caviar with a metal spoon!)

Worst New Restaurant: It's a tie ... Silk and Charra-scary-a. As to Silk, see the note on the flavor award again. As to Charra-scary-a - people are walking around with sharp knives while the ship is in motion! - the meats are all good, but everything else is a fail. The salads were blah, and the vegetables were bad. If they want to imitate Sette Mari on Regent, they need to put out great side dishes, and desserts - which on Sette Mari is a lot like special tea. (And that's why they call it a specialty restaurant!)

Best Ice Cream: Crystal! Yesterday, I had a scoop of Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz Buzz - they annoyingly call this Coffee Buzz Buzz, even when there is room on a printed menu! - with a dollop of coffee soft-serve, and some white chocolate chips. It was practically the turducken of ice cream!

Best snack food: Crystal Bistro.

Best buffet: Regent, especially Regent Explorer (and I expect Splendor too) because it's so roomy there. At breakfast, Regent would have a daily special - I hope they still do. One time it was a delicious breakfast burrito. (Mock me, if you must, but ten years ago, a breakfast burrito was standard on the Crystal breakfast menu!)

Best night-time cocktail. It's close, but on the theory that the one I had most recently is best, then Crystal. I'm enjoying the Irish Coffee in the cove, served with a little chocolate ball. (Who doesn't like chocolate balls!)

A couple of non-food points ...  I think the renovations in all the public areas were beautifully done - especially the bird cage room in the old Trident pool area. I think Waterside looks great, and functions well, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My only issues there are 1) the silly name and logo that makes me think of the hotel chain every time, and 2) the luggage handles on the back of the chairs. I swear, I have some extra debarkation tags, and on my last day, I'm going to tie one on to my chair at W.

As always, your opinions don't matter, only mine; not my words, but it must be true based on the frequency I've read them here.
docmark wrote:(Also, all three suffer from repetition!)

Please someone explain what that means, related to "personalities" on the boards....does it mean same few people keep repeating?
I'm sorry if you didn't get the joke, docmark, but it' not worth explaining.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

Live : Crystal Symphony Tokyo to San Francisco, 5/26-6/17

Continued from above ...
ctjohn wrote: ... Lecturer General Nick Halley presents "The Life and Death Struggle for World Order! Radical Islam Fights for World”. The first half was fine with explanation of Islam beginning and the various groups in different mid-east countries. Then after saying this wasn’t political he started saying everything that Trump was doing right and everything that the previous President had done wrong. Not in pleasant terms. He even refused to name President Obama When confronted by a group as he left he said Obama wasn’t worth naming. During this part of his lecture many were shocked and aghast.
I only went to one (of two) enrichment lectures by General Halley on the current cruise. It was about radical Islam, and he was clearly aware that he needed to be careful with his words. He did use President Obama's name, and although he might not have used his title, at least he didn't use his middle name, like some do (with emphasis), in a derogatory manner.

Anyway, I didn't think it was offensive. However, on the subject of pulling out of the Iran deal, his statements, expressed as fact, were easily recognizable as White House talking points, i.e. Fox News talking points.

drib
dribnut
dribnut

BoSox and the Crystal Skye

It's not just you.

This post is not in danger of being deleted; I'm just sub-tweeting.

Stickman1990 wrote:

Is it just me but does this really look like a good “airline meal”?

I don’t think so - the plating up isn’t great nor the ingredients chosen - sure it’s a steak but that’s hardly a inspirational cut or presentation for a luxury private charter flight